Contact John Mills
Latest Tennis Anyone Article
Tennis Anyone Archives:
2003 - 2015
1994 - 2002
Do You Want To Be A Better Tennis Player? Then Sign Up For A Free Subscription to the Tennis Server INTERACTIVE|
You will join 25,000 other subscribers in receiving news of updates to the Tennis Server along with monthly tennis tips from tennis pro Tom Veneziano that won't be found on the web site.
Best of all, it is free!
Top Pros (Women)
||EXPLORE THE TENNIS NET:
John Mills, USPTA
Good luck on the court!
- Can you sustain a baseline ralley?
- Do you hit more balls cross-court rather than down the line?
- Do you hit the majority of your approach shots down the line?
- When you are forced wide and deep in a corner can you hit a defensive lob to slow the point down?
- Can you accelerate a slow bouncing ball?
- Can you take the pace off a fast ball?
- Can you vary the height of your shots over the net, change the pace, spin and direction.
- Can you keep your average groundstrokes at three-quarter depth? (an imaginary line halfway between the service line and the baseline)
- Can you keep the ball in play from the baseline, attack the short balls into the corner and win at the net position?
- Can you change a losing game?
- Can you draw your opponent to the net to pass him?
- Do you get a high percentage of first serves and serve returns in?
- Can you hit a consistent passing shot?
- Do you play serve and volley, at least occasionally?
- Can you chip and charge on your serve return?
- Are you ready to move forward when you hurt your opponent? (i.e. change his direction, lob over his head, etc,)
- Can you identify and attack your opponent's weaknesses?
- Can you remember your strengths?
- Can you place your serve, vary the speed, spins and height of the ball over the net?
- Can you hit your approach shots with under spin to give you more time to get to the net to handle the passing shot?
- Can you hit a good overhead?
- Do you remember to go to the net after hitting an overhead?
- Can you pace yourself?
- Do you control the baseline?
- Can you volley from any position on the court?
- Do you run through your shots?
- Can you hit angle volleys, angle overheads and angle passing shots?
- Do you keep your low volleys deep in the corners?
- Can you attack short, high bouncing balls, attack high volleys and short lobs?
- Do you think you will win more matches by hitting winners or preventing unforced errors?
- Do you maintain positive body language?
- Do you have good court etiquette and consider yourself a good sport?
Tennis Anyone Archives:
1994 - 2002 | 2003 - 2015
If you have not already signed up to receive our free e-mail
newsletter Tennis Server INTERACTIVE, you can sign up here.
You will receive notification each month of changes at the Tennis
Server and news of new columns posted on our site.
This column is copyrighted by John Mills, all rights reserved.
John Mills currently teaches tennis at the University of Houston, Clear Lake campus. John Mills' experience includes four years as head pro at the Windemere Racquet & Swim Club, where he was responsible for organization of all tennis activities at the club. John also played college tennis at the University of Houston and has spent 20 years teaching tennis at the Memorial Park Tennis Center, the Pasadena Racquet Club, and as the head pro at the Bay Area Racquet Club.